Tom Brake MP warns of deadly Carbon Monoxide risk

February 2, 2010 4:21 PM

Tom at the Carbon Monoxide Be Alarmed EventTom Brake MP has urged Sutton residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research shows that 76% of households in the South East are putting themselves at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour, taste and smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm.

Tom is again supporting the 'Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed!' campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer. The campaign is also backed by Kirstie Allsopp, of Channel 4's Location, Location, Location.

Tom said, 'I urge every householder in the London Borough of Sutton to make sure that they have a Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances including wood burning stoves serviced each year by a professional. Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can't see, smell or taste which makes it so dangerous to all of us.

Tom continued, 'I would like to see it be made a requirement that all new homes are fitted with an alarm and for landlords to provide an alarm before they can receive their annual gas safety certificate. There are many good local shops where people can easily buy an alarm such as Melvyn Clarke Ltd and B&B Homecare in Carshalton.'

Christine McGourty, Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign spokesperson said, 'We regularly hear about members of the general public whose lives have been saved by a Carbon Monoxide alarm - it's the only way to detect this killer. You can buy an alarm from around £15 at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. A number of retailers will also be offering special discounts in support of our campaign this January and we're delighted that Tom has added his weight to the campaign.'

The Carbon Monoxide - Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep your household safe:

· Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm which should be marked with the 'EN50291′ safety standard

· Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered professional

· Don't block ventilation and get chimneys swept at least once a year

· Learn about the danger signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at www.co-bealarmed.co.uk

What would you like to do next?

<