Local MP backs Child Poverty Day

October 17, 2012 12:59 PM

A mere £15 a month can go a long way to help the neediest of children in some of the most hostile environments on Earth. That's why MP for Carshalton and Wallington Tom Brake urged people to observe Child Poverty Day last Wednesday October 17th and donate to ActionAid, a program that establishes sponsors for disadvantaged children.

80% of donations go directly to the child's community to help fund things such as building schools, wages for teachers, clean water and irrigation, seeds, and group activities for the community. The other 20% is used in campaigns to bring policies that reflect Action Aid's goals, investment in recruiting more child sponsors, and administrative financing.

Tom said "Child Poverty Day is a time when we should reflect on those that are less fortunate than us and lend a hand to help them. The children send personal messages to their sponsors and ActionAid staff on the ground includes reports of their progress, so you can see first-hand the difference you're making in the child's life."

"A few quid a week can really mean the world to these children and their communities. The circumstances of their living is often tragic, and sponsorship from overseas can give them the hope they need."

To sponsor a child, visit http://actionaid.org.uk to find out how you can help.

What would you like to do next?