Education is at the heart of the Liberal Democrat agenda. Every child deserves the best start in life. But Conservative school cuts mean that children’s chances are determined too often by their parents’ income.
“I’ve been spending many mornings recently outside schools speaking to concerned parents and teachers. Nearly every local secondary school Headteacher and many primary school Headteachers have written to me about funding cuts to schools and have expressed their severe concerns. Parents are worried sick by these cuts and the effect that they will have on their children's education. Sutton has some of the best schools in the country and these funding cuts put the achievements of many of those schools at risk. - Tom Brake"
Since the Tories announced damaging plans to cut education funding I have:
- Taken the Headteachers of Wilson’s and Carshalton Girls to lobby the Schools’ Minister.
- Written to the Secretary of State for Education along with 624 local residents, outlining why we oppose the cuts.
- Discussed with the leader of Sutton Council the impact this would have on local schools.
- Been in contact with nearly every head teacher in Carshalton and Wallington over the cuts.
- Met lots of parents outside schools to discuss the impact of the cuts
OUR PLAN FOR EDUCATION
Invest £7 billion extra, including £31 million in Sutton's schools, in children’s education, so that no school loses money per pupil in cash terms. More here
Triple the Early Years Pupil Premium to £1000 - giving children from disadvantaged backgrounds the best start in life. More here
Guarantee that all teachers in state-funded schools will be fully qualified or working towards Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) from January 2019.