Tom Brake MP and five members of Team Brake took on and demolished the Tough Mudder last month to raise money for Sutton Mental Health Foundation.
Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats Jo Swinson has announced that ten major employers have agreed to publish their parental leave and pay policies.
Commenting ahead of Sajid Javid's address to Conservative party conference Liberal Democrat MP Tom Brake said:
The National League has chosen leading men's health charity Prostate Cancer UK as its first ever official charity partner, to unite in the fight against the UK's most prevalent male cancer.
Tom Brake MP is calling on the new Health & Social Care Secretary to establish a cross-party group to find a long-term funding solution for our National Health Service.
The Government have confirmed that rail fares are expected to increase by 3.2% next year.
The rise in prices, which follows an increase in prices of 3.6% for this year, means some commuters will have to pay hundreds more, but still suffer an appalling service.
Commenting on the expected rise in the cost of regulated rail fares, Carshalton and Wallington MP Tom Brake said:
“Local rail users already suffer enough from the terrible service provided by GTR Southern Rail and Thameslink, so the idea of paying even more for this service is an outrageous kick in the teeth for long-suffering customers.
"Rather than raising prices, the Government should be punishing rail providers for their shocking service by stripping them of their contracts.
Instead, the Government are allowing the failing rail companies to make more profits at the expense of improving rail services and frustrated commuters.”
Tom Brake is campaigning for Southern Rail to be sacked after their dreadful service has caused such misery for local residents. He wants local rail services to be managed by Transport for London. You can add your name to Tom’s petition here.
Tom has set out a comprehensive package of measures to address passengers’ concerns.
Ban companies that breach the terms of their rail services contract from bidding for future franchises for a period of time.
- Allow public sector bodies to bid for franchises to provide some real competition to complacent private sector train operators.
- Give Transport for London responsibility for London suburban rail services to improve reliability and integration with the Overground, Tube, buses and DLR.
And to benefit passengers directly:
- Introduce higher levels of passenger compensation, triggered by shorter delays.
- Guarantee that no train fares rise at a rate faster than inflation until train company performance reaches an acceptable level.
- Simplify train fares so people have the certainty that they are paying the lowest price for their journeys.
- Introduce more flexible ticketing to reflect new ways of working (part-time working, home-working etc).
- Finally, sack the Transport Secretary. His career has hit the buffers! After all, there is no point to a Transport Secretary who denies all responsibility for rail services.
Tom Brake MP joined thousands at the Pride March in London earlier this month to celebrate the LGBT+ community. Tom marched alongside the Lib Dem contingent to celebrate diversity.
Rents across London have soared over the last six years whilst wages have fallen far behind.
‘Two Big Lottery Fund announcements could make a big impact here’ according to Tom Brake MP.
Boris Johnson managed to make our country a laughing stock one last time as Foreign Secretary when he pressed for the UK to host a meeting aimed at helping countries to join the EU.