Privacy Notice

This privacy notice relates to the personal data processed by me, Tom Brake MP, Member of Parliament for Carshalton & Wallington, and the Office of Tom Brake MP, in relation to casework and policy queries.

Who is the Data Controller?

I, Tom Brake MP, Member of Parliament for Carshalton & Wallington, am The Data Controller.

What does the office do?

The office helps me discharge the duties and functions of an elected Member of Parliament. As part of this work, I conduct constituency casework and respond to policy queries, for which my office must process personal data for my constituents. I also hold a mailing list for the purpose of sending updates about my work and local news.

How is my data processed?

My office processes constituents’ data under the recognised lawful basis of public task. In instances where this lawful basis is not sufficient and explicit, consent is required, a member of the office will contact you to establish your consent.

I am committed to ensuring that the information I collect and use is appropriate for this purpose, and does not constitute an invasion of your privacy.

Will my data be shared with anyone else?

If you have contacted me about a personal or policy issue, in the course of dealing with your case, I may pass your personal data on to a third-party, such as local authorities, government agencies, public bodies, health trusts, regulators and so on. Any third parties that I share your data with are obliged to keep your details securely, and to use them only for the purpose for which they were originally intended.

In any case, I will not use your data in a way that goes beyond your reasonable expectations in contacting me.

How long will my personal data be kept for?

Casework and policy queries are often revisited to provide the best service and representation for constituents, from whom I may continue to receive correspondence.

Unless specifically requested by you, I feel it is appropriate that my office will hold your personal data for no longer than five years before organising for its deletion. This will ensure that, should a case be reopened a few years after its conclusion, information will be still be on file.

Following an election, if I am not re-elected, all records will be destroyed within one month of the election.

What rights do I have to my personal data?

At any point while I am in possession of or processing your personal data, you, the data subject, have the following rights:

  • Right of access – you have the right to request a copy of the information that I hold about you.
  • Right of rectification – you have a right to correct data that I hold about you that is inaccurate or incomplete
  • Right to be forgotten – in certain circumstances, you can ask for the data I hold about you to be erased from my records.
  • Right to restriction of processing – where certain conditions apply you have a right to restrict the processing.
  • Right of portability – you have the right to have the data I hold about you passed to another organisation.
  • Right to object – you have the right to object to certain types of processing, such as direct marketing.
  • Right to object to automated processing, including profiling – you also have the right to be subject to the legal effects of automated processing or profiling.
  • Right to judicial review: if my office refuses your request under rights of access, I will provide you with a reason why. You have the right to complain.

How can I contact somebody about my privacy?

You can get in touch with me and my office by letter, email or telephone using the details below. Please note that I will ask for identification (passport, driving licence, utility bill from the last 3 months) should you choose to exercise any of the above rights in relation to personal data I hold.


In the event that you wish to make a complaint about how your personal data is being processed by my office, or how your complaint has been handled, you have the right to lodge a complaint directly with the Information Commissioner’s Office

Tom Brake MP
Kennedy House
5 Nightingale Road

Phone: 020 8255 8155